Monday, May 5, 2008

Aaaaww....No He Didn't.

Sunday found me running errands that I had been putting off. One such errand was to go to the laundromat to wash my bed comforters. Unfortunately, they are too large to fit into the washer and dryer I have at home. DRATS! I hate going to the laundromat, I really do.

Anyway, I pull into the parking lot and grab two of the three comforters from the back seat and the laundry detergent. I proceed into the laundromat and locate one of the very large washers and quickly deposit the comforters into said washer then walk over to the change machine to get quarters. As I turn to walk away from the change machine this rather scraggly looking kid walks up to me. He mumbled something incoherently and I asked him to repeat it. He repeated what he said but I still could not make out what he said except something about "change" and "help you". I naturally assumed he wanted to help me with my laundry for some spare change. I quickly but nicely told him no and moved on with my business thinking that was the end.

2 minutes later as I was adding detergent to the washer the same kid walked up to me and proceeded to tell me how at a loss for words he was and how beautiful I was and asked if he could take me to dinner one night soon. I was thinking....'Are you kidding me?' This kid looked to be about 22 years old (old enough to be my son mind you), hair hadn't been combed in days. Remember, I thought he was a kid essentially begging for change. Now he's asking me for a date.

I'm not a mean person so I very gently told him that I had a boyfriend but thanks for the offer, it was sweet. He then proceeded to say, "Well, can you take my number just in case things don't work out?"

OK, I kept my composure because I didn't want to hurt the little fella's feelings or break his spirit so I simply said, "Thanks so much but we are quite happy so I don't see that changing. You're very sweet though. Take care." And with that he was gone.

Poor thing, he actually thought he had a chance. I must give it to him, he had guts.

24 People saying stuff:

ME said...

Wow! Glad you let him down gently.

shorty said...

Maybe these things happen for a reason.

You should have atleast taken his number.

From past posts it doesn't sound like you are entirely happy with your man.

Maybe you should go back in two weeks and see if he's there again, it might not be too late : )

Karen said...

How cute. It is always flattering to have someone compliment you.

Anonymous said...

You getting picked up at the laundry?!?!?! Playa playa....

The Ambiguous Blob said...

dayum, he's BOLD! That isn't always a good thing. Jeez.

Rita said...

Why didnt you take the number!!! May be all he needed was to give his number to someone... just in case :)

Freckle Face Girl said...

Now that is a compliment! Funny, but sweet.

Anonymous said...

Aww, how adorable! lol Reminds me of the time I had a 15 year old hit on me at the mall.

CapCity said...

LOLOL! I can't help but laugh...
It always amazes me at those who have NO chance - but they're no quitters - while there are those who could GET it all DAY LONG & they have "fragile" egos & fear rejection...i feel a blog post coming on! LOL!

CapCity said...

oh, yea - digging the new-to-me-look;-)!

Vixen said...

That's hilarious! People like that don't approach me because when I'm out and want to be left alone, I lock it down. I'm a stone cold bitch. May be bad, but, it's worked so far.

Vi said...

Still.... I bet that boosted your ego a bit!

lisa q. said...

at least he was persistent! gotta give him credit for that i guess...

Terri said...

ahh; makes a girl feel good though eh? I like the new layout, first time I've seen it since I usually read from bloglines. Very nice!

Sandi McBride said...

Hey, he knew true beauty when he saw it...and so maybe he was hoping you'd actually PAY for dinner...but go with the thought it was your beauty that blinded him!
Sandi

CarmenSinCity said...

ha ha - that's funny as hell. You should have taken his number in case things didn't work out :) ha ha

TravelDiva said...

LMAO. Went from beggin' for change to asking you out. Wow. I hate when that happens. Once I was walking back to lunch, in a full business suit, and this homeless guy tried to holler at me and asked for my number. (I don't mean drunk and crazy homeless either--appeared normal). Now, I'm not saying the homeless shouldn't get any love, but I'm in a suit, going to work...I'm not trying to be a snob, but come on.

Anonymous said...

You let him down very nicely!

Anonymous said...

Glad you dealt with him kindly. Can you imagine being that down on your luck and just wanting some sense of normalcy?

Mizrepresent said...

Awe, take it as a compliment...being hit on by the homeless is a lot better than being not hit on at all.

magnoliapeach said...

Miz has a point. A homeless person would probably be more concerned with food and shelter, but he took the time to compliment you. Gone head girl!!!

dmarks said...

He was looking for a change alright; dating you would have probably changed his life!

Chari said...

Lol. You go boy!

imbeingheldhostage said...

Ooooh, last guy that I noticed in a laundry place was doing something he shouldn't have been doing in public... I couldn't get past that memory while reading this post and kept waiting for you to say that's what he did...
:-)