Friday, November 12, 2010

Are You There God It's Me Diva? - Day 23

So today's challenge has me telling you about my favorite book as a teen. When I was about 12 I read a book called Are You There God It's Me Margaret by Judy Bloom. That book was so profound and hit me so strongly I guess because I was the same age as Margaret going through the exact same things she was at that age.

I loved how she and her friends, Nancy and Gretchen, were so close and she had a huge crush on Norman. James was my Norman back then. Aaaawww *swoon* . I remember that infamous spin the bottle game she and her friends played where she had to kiss a boy in the closet. Aaaawww the memories.

I really think every young girl around 12 years old should read this book. It's like a rite of passage. For those of you that have young daughters or nieces I strongly recommend getting them this book. Even though it was written in the 70's, it is still so very relevant today.

Now that I am writing about it I have this sudden urge to read this book again and relive my preteen years.

Stay tuned for tomorrows post!

5 People saying stuff:

Red Shoes said...

Life is full of good "books" and "rites of passages"... :o)

~shoes~

Jeni said...

From the time I first learned to read and well beyond my high school years, I was a voracious reader. Read virtually anything and everything I could get my hands on. As a child though, there was one book in particular that my best friend and I both read, several times and enjoyed each reading of it as much as the first time around. That book -"Jonica's Island" by Gladys Malvern -out of print now, of course -is one I wished my girls could have located to read when they were 10-14 years old and I'd love to find a copy of it so Maya can someday read it and hopefully, come to understand it and love it as much as I did -still do, for that matter.

JStar said...

I agree! I LOVED that book! I read it at the same age :)

Unknown said...

That was one of my favorite reads when I was growing up. It totally shed light on the mystery of growing up. I too wanted to have the spin the bottle experience but that never happened. Brought back memories!

Danny said...

This was a lovely bloog post