Monday, June 25, 2007

Checking Account Reconciliation

Hey all!!! I hope everyone had a great weekend. What did you do?

I have a question for all of you....how do you balance your checking account? Do you still use the checkbook registry to keep track of your purchases? I do. lol

So how do you keep track of your purchases and expenses from your checking account? I do use Quicken to download all transactions and determine where I'm spending my money but I also need to keep an updated checkbook registry as well so that I can always know exactly how much I have in my account at all times.

Hmmmmm....whatcha think?

13 People saying stuff:

Sizzle said...

i am anal about my account. i write everything down in the registry and a couple times a week i check it against the on line records.

Mizrepresent said...

I rarely write checks any more, so it's so easy to keep up with them, one or two a month...most of my bills are paid by withdrawal.

dc_speaks said...

i use the debit card and the customer service automated service for keeping up.

i stopped using the registry a long time ago.

Vi said...

Cheques are rare now in the UK. Everything is done by standing orders, direct debits and online or phone payment, or EFPOS machines. Some places don't even accept cheques anymore!

lisa q. said...

ummm...i'm horrible about this...i write 'em in the check registry and that's pretty much the end of it...i log on to my account at the bank to see how much is there...

JustMeWriting said...

girl, I pretty much keep it in my head or log it in my notebook SOMETIMES, but sometimes i just don't want to KNOW how broke I am...LOL.

Stepping Over the Junk said...

I input everything into Quicken as my registry. I charge my groceries and gas and when I put that on the electronic registry, you can put it in a "split" for which category each purchase is (so you dont have to save your receipts, you have it on your credit card bill). As for cash, I get a certain amount out of the atm each month and ration it through the month for spending money. I don't usually itemize those items. Quicken reconciles my checkbook for me for the most part.

Single Ma said...

Hi Diva

I hardly ever write checks and prefer to us a CC for daily transactions. I check my account online daily to track spending and upload to MS Money once a week.

I only transfer money to checking when it's time to pay a bill. Otherwise, the balance is usually less than $10.

~SM

*Tanyetta* said...

checks???????????

i have NO idea. i cannot remember the last check i wrote.

i pay all bills online and i have a debit card for purchases. i don't even use credit cards. i know i'm a damn dinosaur! LOL

Billy said...

I am totally old school. I refuse to use a debit card and I write out every freakin check by hand. I then document it on the register part. Yep, I don't care for change when it comes to money. No pun intended (ahem).

Anonymous said...

What I really want to know is why bloglines doesn't tell me when you've updated. (grrrr.)

Anyway, I HEART my debit card. I also pay almost all of my bills online. The ones I don't are autowithdrawn from the place I owe (like the student loan people.)

I check my balance online everyday. I write very very few checks and so I know when they hit.

For about 6 months last year I was pretty good about downloading my check registry from the online to Quicken and doing all the notating of the categories and shit.

It's way too anal for me to keep up with and just another thing to feel guilty about not being caught up as far as I'm concerned.

sheesh. I be you're glad now that I'm not always over here hogging up the comments, huh? ;-)

Freckle Face Girl said...

I write down the check amounts, but we use the debit card & online bill payment a lot too. Mainly, I just go online for the latest amount.

Sheletha said...

yeah, i dont use a register anymore either... Im online banking for everything now, or automatic ACH. I pay bills, take out cash only for items in my budget that I sometimes go over (i.e. groceries, gas for my car) I don't even have a checkbook anymore.

For those that refuse to use a debit card...I only think of the Visa Checkcard commerical where everything goes smoothly until somebody uses their check book. It slows everything down, causes messes and changes the harmony in everything. I fall off the couch lauging everytime I see that commericial