Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Busy Time...Busy Time

Hey everyone. I hope you all had a good weekend. My weekend was crazy. I might not have mentioned this before but my mother is disabled and wheelchair bound. Well, she had a fall this past Saturday. Luckily my niece was with her and called so I drove out there to help get her up into her chair. Very difficult process as I am a very small woman and my mother is extremely heavy. So we finally got her into her chair and comfortable. She was very sluggish and weak this day which alarmed me. I had a talk with her and she realized that she can no longer live in that house. I stayed with her the rest of the day and then all day Sunday to make sure she's ok.

It really bothers me that she is home because too many harmful things can happen. She needs so much care that an assisted living facility is the best place for her.

Well I spent alot of time yesterday making calls, visitng facilites and trying to get things situated and I will do the same today. We found a really nice place that she will like and the bonus is that it's right down from my house so I can see her everyday if need be. Things are looking good that she will be able to get into her new place by weeks end. Monday at the latest. I feel really good about that. It will relieve so much pressure from me to know she is being taken care of.

My brother's fiance has been so wonderful and helpful through all this. More so then my other brother who I haven't spoken to since Saturday. Whatever.

Ok...off to visit your blogs!

25 People saying stuff:

Anonymous said...

What a loving woman you are. I hope when I need that kind of care and attention, my daughters and son will be just as loving.

WrkNProgress said...

Sorry to hear about your moms fall, but glad things are looking up for you. Keep on keeping on.

Anonymous said...

It's a blessing that you are there for her. So many have estranged relationships with their parents that prevent us from participating in the natural order of things: they cared for you, when they get old you care for them while caring for any of your own that may have come along, who in turn, care for you when you get older.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad someone was there when her accident happened! I hope she likes the place you picked.

Vi said...

That's good news about your mum. I don't know what I'd do if anything went wrong with my mum, being so far away from her.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. I know sometimes family situations can be very stressful. Kudos to you for being a great daughter!

Scrapping My 2 Precious Gems said...

sorry to hear about your mom's fall. It is hard to see a loved one hurting. Assisted Living is much better for her. Hope all goes well with your search!

Shai said...

Sorry to hear about yur mom. It is good, VERY good how fast you found a nice assisted living home. I know it is hard having to put her in one and it can be expensive and hard to find a good one.

laughing said...

Well, maybe I have my fellow bloggers confused...but...weren't there a couple of relatives sponging off of your mom? Has anything been done about that?

CarmenSinCity said...

Glad to hear you are getting your mom in someplace closeby! I'm sure that is quite a relief. I just went to Jiffy Lube this weekend and I thought I was getting a simple oil change. Of course I ended up spending like $200 on other stuff I supposedly needed too.

Pageant Mom said...

I am sorry to hear about your mom... my dad is 79 and my mom is 65... even at almost 80 years old my dad acts like he can kick yer... anyway, I dread having to deal with this in the future, as I am an only child!

Hang in there!

That girl said...

That must be hard. It is a loving choice though, since it will provide her with the safety and care as well as budding relationships with other mature women.

I am sure your mother will be happy that you are so close and hope that this will make the transition easier.

Jeni said...

My older daughter always reminds me to be nice to her because she says she will either be the one to pick the nursing home out for me or else, she will be the one I will go and live with sometime in the future. (That is also something I do pray daily will never happen - the living with her anyway -as she would drive me bonkers within probably 24 hours -maybe less. LOL
Finding assisted care living for loved ones is a really difficult process all too often for many - both the family and the person in need. Fortunately for you, your mother seems to be rational and accepting of the fact that she needs help, more care than her family can provide to her too on a day-to-day basis -and that is really a lot of that battle won right there! Good luck with your search and her placement that it al works out for the best for her and you and your siblings too. Peace!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't believe how quickly you found somewhere suitable. Here in Oz the wait is years.

My son will need assisted living. I have been told if I put him on the waiting list now (at 9) I should be able to get him a place some time in his 40's.....

Good luck babe. I am sure your mum will be happy.

lisa q. said...

i'm so glad you found a nice place...she'll be happier and well cared for and you will be less worried about her...

KIKI said...

Glad your mom was ok. And thank goodness she's ok with going into an assisted facility; alot of times the elderly feel like their losing their independence when they have to leave their home.

She's blessed to have a daughter like you.

Ms.Lady said...

Good luck with the nursing facility...im glad to hear you checked them out and it is close to you.
Coming from the medical field *nursing homes to exact* it is very important you check them out and visit your family member quite often due to neglect and assholes *to be frank*.
Stay on their asses and your mom will be just fine.
Once again, Good luck..im sure she'll feel secure with you on her side :}

soumynona said...

Thats very important for her. She'll get the chance to interact with you without any added stress you may feel from having to do extra work

Kathryn & John said...

It's so good that you were able to help your mother. Three years ago, my mom got very ill but she lived 700 miles from us. Long story short, we moved her in with us, she got relatively better, and we're happy we did it. Our life wouldn't be for everyone, but all in all the blessings have far outweighed any negatives.

minijonb said...

your mother is so lucky to have a loving daughter like you! take a deep breath and keep on doing what you've been doing.

Adrianne said...

Thank God your mother has you as a daughter. I think your mother would love the move especially to be closer to you. At these assisted living homes they always have activities and games to keep you busy.

I use to volunteer at assisted living places and it was so much fun!!! Honestly my new friends I made there have more of a social life than I do,..that is really really sad and I can't believe I admitted to that.

This one lady there read a letter she wrote to her son.

I cared for five children and no one cares for me.... That is so sad isn't it. I am so glad you are good to your mom and sorry your brother is being such an ass.

Anonymous said...

what a scare! I'm glad you've been able to find a place for your mom somewhat easily.

(is your brother freaking because mom is aging or is he always un-helpful during crisis?)

Chari said...

Wow. I am so glad that you found a nice place near your house. That is great.


I can't image my mother living in an assistance living place. Guess that is one of those fears I have to over come... :(

Tired of being broke said...

Glad to know everything is ok with your mom. Hope she likes the place, visit often and ask questions of the staff if anything seems out of place.


Good luck.

The Ambiguous Blob said...

24 hour care for people who need it is expensive, but soooo helpful. Good move. I'm sure she's grateful.