Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day #7 - Describe Your Most Vivid Halloween Memory

I know, I know, it's not Halloween time but that doesn't mean we can't still discuss it, right?

I remember one such Halloween when my older cousin and my aunt took us Trick or Treating. Oh we kids were excited. We put on our scariest costumes and ventured out into the neighborhood in search of our treats. This was back when kids would Trick or Treat in the dark at night. Oh how times have changed.

So we were only half finished our little adventure when things suddenly took a turn for the worst.

We were walking down the street where I lived and found ourselves ironically in front of my house. We had started from my grandmothers house which was about four blocks away.

As we were approaching my house with the intent on continuing on as we weren't yet finished begging for candy, when we heard a rather loud "Pop pop!" We turned in the direction of this noise and saw two dudes slinging it out as if they were in a bad western movie. They were waving their guns and firing them when they thought they had a clear shot. We immediately dashed behind a bush in front of my house for cover. I remember never being as terrified as I was that night. The gun battle went of for another 5 minutes or so. Once it was over my cousin and aunt gathered all us kids up and we cut our Trick or Treating short right then and there and made a hasty retreat back to my grandmothers house to wait for my parents to come pick us up.
Needless to say that was the last time I'd gone Trick or Treating.



3 People saying stuff:

Jeni said...

I don't remember what year or how old I was when this happened but I figure I was probably in my early teens. It was not on Halloween but rather a Friday night, around 9-10 p.m. and may have been right before or a week prior to Halloween. I say this because my cousin from Pittsburgh was with my neighborhood friends and me as we went "Throwing corn" at houses in the neighborhood. (This was a Halloween custom back then -we kids would go to our neighbors corn field and steal ears of corn (field corn, which is harder kernels that regular sweet corn.) We would then shell the corn from the ears into bags and wander up and down the street and throw handfuls of the corn at people's windows which of course, made a clattering sound and would scare the occupants of the house being hit. This nite, there were five of us -my cousin, my next-door-neighbor's daughter (Carmie), the neighbor boy on the other side of Carmie's house (Bob)and a boy from up the road in town named Bill. We came to the last house on our street and the lights were all out so the kid named Bill took a handful of corn, stood in the front yard and took aim at the windows but before he could let the corn fly, someone rapped at him on an upstairs window and he took off running up the street like a bat out of hell. Not one to be discouraged or scared off easily, neighbor Carmie stepped up into the yard and really let several handfuls of corn rip! Meanwhile, Bill was long gone. The funniest part -to me -of this story is that Bill eventually became a state trooper in Penna and even rose to the position of Commander of a local state police barracks -something my other friends and I always marveled at considering he was such a wuss when we were kids!

Unknown said...

My most vivid memory is trying to breathe through those plastic masks with very small air holes.

Yours sounded much more scary! I think I would've peed in my pants and then, headed home...leaving my bag of candy and all.

Tonya said...

My most vivid memory was in 6th grade. My birthday is on Halloween so it was always a day to remember! But this one year it was rainy and cold. My friend and I went running through the neighborhood and cut through someone's yard. They had some sort of rope and I tripped and went down. After that I was wet and DONE!